Hyde Street Cable Car and Turnaround
San Francisco’s cable cars are symbolic of the charm and distinct flavor of the city. In no other place can you ride a moving national historic monument.
Fisherman’s Wharf is served by two cable car lines: the Powell-Hyde line on Hyde and Beach Streets (Aquatic Park near Ghirardelli Square), and the Powell-Mason line on Taylor and Bay Streets (middle of Fisherman's Wharf area, a few blocks from Pier 45 at Taylor and Bay Street).
Both lines run between Fisherman's Wharf and Powell and Market Streets in Union Square. You can view a detailed schedule and route map of the Powell-Hyde cable car line here; the Powell-Mason cable car schedule and route map can be viewed here.
Info Courtesty SFMTA
Riding Cable Cars
It's easy to find and board a cable car. Choose from three cable car lines - two start at Powell and Market and continue to the Fisherman's Wharf area; one starts at California and Market and continues to Van Ness Avenue. Board at the cable car turntables (the beginning or end of each route) or look for the brown-and-white cable car sign post.
Cable Car Tips
- Our city’s busy streets and steep hills can make for an exciting ride. Hold on tight. If you're holding onto the special poles on the outside of the car as you stand, please don't lean outward.
- When exiting, wait until the vehicle comes to a complete stop. Then check the street nearby as you step out. Stop, look and listen carefully before crossing cable car intersections. Please remember that the green "X" traffic signal is the “go ahead” signal for cable cars, not pedestrians.
- Full-size bicycles and folding bikes are not permitted aboard cable cars. Check out other Muni routes if you're traveling with your bike.
- Service animals are encouraged to ride in the interior section of the cable car, either on their owner's lap or as far out of the aisle as possible. If riding on the exterior sections of the cable car, service animals must be on their owner's lap.
- Cable cars are not equipped with accessible boarding.
- To board cable cars at Powell & Market, Bay & Taylor and Hyde & Beach Streets, you must purchase your fare in advance (applies 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily).
- Pricing details for cable car single trips can be found here. For all-day travel, you may want to purchase a visitor Passport.
Other payment options:
- MuniMobile®: The SFMTA’s official ticketing app, MuniMobile lets you buy tickets instantly through a credit/debit card, PayPal account, Apple Pay or Google Pay.
- Clipper® Card: Clipper is the all-in-one transit card for the Bay Area. Use your Clipper card on all major Bay Area transit systems, including Muni.
- Cash: Exact change is required.
- Please visit Fares page for all cable car ticket details.
- Groups of 10-100
Private Tour Exclusive
| From $NaN per person
Explore Waterfront, Little Italy and Hills of SF Tour in one amazing private group guided tour
- Skill Level: