Riding a Segway is similar to riding a bike—it's intuitive but nobody is born knowing how to operate it. That's why we offer 45-50 minutes of training so you can get familiar with the device. A Segway is not an ideal mode of touring for people with some mobility issues. All guests must be able to easily and quickly step on and off the Segway without any assistance, which requires physical abilities similar to climbing and descending stairs without assistance or use of a handrail. See more disability and medical condition information here.Segway riding is not recommended for pregnant women. Unfortunately, pregnant guests will not be permitted to participate due to fall risk. This activity is NOT recommended for some guests age 70 and up Please review information about disabilities and mobility issues listed below..
Safety is very important to us: All guests must be age 12 or older and weight at least 100 lbs. (45 kilos). If you book a tour and any of your guests do not meet the minimum age / weight criteria they will not be allowed on the tour and you will not be given a refund or rescheduled. We do have a scale and check weights. Safety 1st!
Yes we enforce the minimum weight requirement. We occasionally get asked if we will make an exception for underweight children with athletic ability. No we will not make an exception. All guests must weigh more than a Segway. Safety 1st.
If you have been on a Segway tour in another city and the tour operator let your age 12 and under / under 100 lbs (45 kilos) child participate we will still NOT allow them to ride on our tour. Unlike most Segway tours in other cities we have hills on our route and guests must be the minimum weight and age to safely participate.
Guests will practice on the Segways until everyone feels comfortable and ready to tour San Francisco!
San Francisco Waterfront and Golden Gate Park Tour Rider Requirements:
- Segway Tours be age 12 and up and weigh at least 100 lbs (46 kilos). (Bike Tours Ages 16 and up.) For guest safety minimum age and weight requirements are strictly enforced. This includes underage / underweight guests that may have been allowed on tours in other cities. We have a scale and check weights.
- Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult or guardian.
- Be able to easily and quickly step on and off the Segway without assistance, which requires physical abilities similar to climbing and descending stairs without any assistance or use of a handrail.
- Be able to stand on the Segway for a period of 1-2 hours.
- Weigh between 100 and 250 pounds (46 to 113 kilos).
- This activity is NOT recommended for some guests age 70 and up. Pregnant guests will not be permitted to participate
- Wear the helmet and safety vest that is provided with the tour.
- Sign a liability waiver.
- Complete the Segway rider training and test ride
- Respect road signs, pedestrians, bikes and cars for a safe enjoyable ride. Arrive 15 minutes early to check in and be ready for fun!
Advanced Segway Tour: Rider Requirements
- All guests on the Advanced Hills Tours must have taken a 2+ hour Segway Tour on a newer version of the Segway i2 with lean steer. Our tours or a full 2+ hour tour in another city in the last 12 months will qualify you. A five minute test ride or tours on the older version ( non moving handlebar design) of the Segway do not qualify . All members of your group must have the minimum experience. These are not beginner tours or appropriate for guests with mobility issues.
- Ages 12 and up and weigh at least 100 lbs (46 kilos).For guest safety minimum age and weight requirements are strictly enforced. This includes underage / underweight guests that may have been allowed on tours in other cities.
- Guests must weigh a minimum of 100 pounds and not over 250 pounds. (46 to 113 kilos).
- This tour is more strenuous than our other San Francisco Tours. Do not book this tour if you don't want to ride up and down hills or tire easily. You will be standing for 2 hours.
- This activity is NOT recommended for some guests age 70 and up. Please review mobility and disability info listed below. Pregnant guests will not be permitted to participate due to fall risk.
- Please no high heels, sandals or flip flops.
- All guests must be able to easily and quickly step on and off the Segway without any assistance, which requires physical abilities similar to climbing and descending stairs without assistance or use of a handrail.
- This tour subject to a minimum of 4 guests. Groups will be combined. Advanced reservations are required.
Weight and age restrictions will be strictly enforced.
No refunds for guests that ignore the requirements.
Arrive 15 minutes early to check in and be ready for fun!
The training includes:
- Walking the customer through a simulated obstacle course consisting of cones, turns and an emergency stop to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.
- Hands-on training with a instructor. Video introduction. Check-out ride and skills review. NEW: Training video is now available in 11 languages.
- Education of rider courtesy and rules of the road.
It is important to note that the Segway has not been designed, tested, or approved as a medical device.
I or a member of my group has a disability or medical condition.
How do you evaluate and /or handle a guest with a disability / medical condition ?
It is important to note that the Segway has NOT been designed, tested, or approved as a medical device. Our staff are not professionally trained to recognize or evaluate disabilities. We are not doctors or clinicians.
We want everyone to have a safe experience. We have had guests with some physical challenges do well on the Segway. The Segway tour is not a good choice for guests with motor control or learning disabilities. Our tours do require physical exertion and standing for long periods of time. Please carefully review the rider requirements listed above.
If you contact us in advance we will try to arrange for a free demo / training the day (or days) before your tour. This is only if we have staff and time available. We use this time to try to best evaluate the riders abilities. During this time a staff member will spend one on one time with the guest and answer questions. We always err on the side of safety.
We strongly suggest asking questions in advance concerning any disabilities/ medical issues..
We will most likely not have a lot of extra time during training prior to the tour departure to work with a guest. We operate on schedule so the other paying guests have a full tour experience. On occasion (if we have space) guests that don't feel comfortable or do not have the skills have stayed in our parking lot area vs. going on the tour. They receive a bit of extra riding time without being out on the road.
At a minimum on arrival please tell the training staff and guides if you or members of your party have a disability, medical condition or travel issue that may impact riding ability.
This includes recent surgeries, back braces, pregnancy (not allowed to go on tour), fainting spells, missing limbs, hip replacements, knee replacements, hearing loss, vision problems, casts, drugs that may impair motor control and much more than we can list here. Jet lag and dehydration from long flights can also be a problem for our international guests.
During our regular guest training prior to the tour departure: 1. We will not let you leave our training facility if we feel you are not a competent / safe rider. 2. We do not offer a full refund if we or you decide that it will not be safe for you to proceed.